Friday, February 18, 2011

What Are Your Layers?

“In the midst of regular life, running is the touchstone that breathes adventure into my soul. Running reminds me that there is more to me than what is readily apparent much of the time. I don't always need to see it, but oh how I need to know it's there. Like having an alter ego, or a super-hero identity.” —Kristin Armstrong

My friend Denise (her blog is a must-see for all moms!) read the above quote and thought of me :) 

Yes, adventure into my soul!  That's what it is for me!  Every run is an adventure, whether I'm alone, with friends, with people I've just met, on a warm sunny day, in a snowy blizzard . . .every run's an adventure!  Not all of the adventures have been pleasant, but an adventure nonetheless :) 

Running is my therapy!  And I get to call the shots!  I can choose the pace, the distance, who I run with, when I run, where I run, the type of shoes I run in!  This world can try to throw me as many curveballs as it wants - one run with God and friends and I'm back, focused on what really matters!

This makes me think of Leigh Ann (Sandra Bullock) in Blind Side, when her husband said she's like an onion, you gotta peel her layers back one at a time.  When I started running, I felt like I had discovered another layer of who I am!

So what are your layers?  What makes you YOU?  Is there something you've been wanting to try? Maybe it's running, maybe it's swimming, maybe it's joining a class or group, or going back to school, or even changing careers.  Whatever it is, take it to God and go for it!

Too often, God is pressing us to do something, but we stand in our own way!  What if I fail, what if I embarrass myself, what if I'm not good enough, what if, what if, . . . 

What if . . . you're missing out on one of your layers?  What if . . . you stopped worrying about what other people think and started thinking more about what God thinks?  What if . . . you started living out the wonderful plan God has for your life???

I had absolutely no idea when I ran my first 2 miles 6 years ago that God was going to give me so many opportunities through running!  Not only am I healthier to do what He needs me to do, but I have also met the most amazing people!  I've been able to witness the love and admiration that my husband and son have for me when they're at my races, supporting me and even taking care of me when I've pushed my body beyond it's limits. 

I had no idea that something as simple as running would become such a vital part of God's plan for me!

God desires so much more for us than we can ever imagine!  He wants to help us develop our strong layers, so that we can be bold and confident, not shrink and hide behind our "what if's". 

God is faithful - trust Him and go for your goals! Your beautiful layers are waiting for you!
   

    

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I run too - I've experienced great things and met so many amazing people through running, but for me, It's my sport. It's my pace, my time with God. Each year I run the TC 10 (Twin Cities, MN) I look forward to it every year. =)

    As far as my layers? God continues to refine me and reveal to me what His plan is for me. I spent many years doing what I thought would be good for me, once I made a REALLY big mess and was willing to surrender, He has shown me what I've missed, what my true passion is. Helping others, connecting, sharing my story, speaking, writing. I would've NEVER dreamed I'd be doing what He has me doing, but now that I'm here?? BLISS. JOY. PEACE.

    Love your blog, I found it through a tweet by @praiseandcoffee. Thank you for sharing your heart. =)

    Keeping it Personal,
    Teri Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for much for visiting my blog - I'm a "newbie" and loving it! Yes - Bliss, Joy, Peace! Surrendering in the key :)

    ReplyDelete