Monday, January 23, 2012

Tuesday's Table for Two - God and You: Giving family favorites a healthy makeover

I made a wonderful sidedish last night, if I do say so myself!  My guys couldn't eat it fast enough!  And it was a veggie - a dark green leafy veggie at that!  Ready? ...... Collard Greens!

My great grandma Bessie use to make some sort of greens with almost every meal.  They were filled with animal fat, butter, and heavy cream for that silky thick goodness.  They were delicious!  But, I could seriously feel my body carrying the bloat as soon as I finished eating them. I was young and could still eat anything I wanted, so I didn't care.  Now that I'm a little older, and wiser, I've "healthied" them up a bit and I think Grandma Bessie would be proud :)   

So here's the easy recipe:

Chop and crisp up 3 strips lower sodium bacon in pan over med-high heat (make sure pan is large enough to hold your greens). Reduce heat to low-med.  Remove bacon pieces with slotted spoon and lay aside on paper towel.  Add 5-6 cups greens to pan and stir to coat with bacon flavor.  Add a splash of low sodium chicken or vegatable broth - just enough to deglaze bottom of pan (if you prefer  creamier greens, add a splash of organic skim milk instead).  Stir and cover, letting greens wilt and cook down, stirring occasionally.  After about 10 minutes, add about 2 handfuls of mushrooms (we're a mushroom family, so I add them to almost everything!).  Cover and cook for about 5 minutes longer.  They are done when they're completely wilted and bitterness is nearly cooked out.  I like a little bite to my greens, but if you prefer a cooked spinach feel, just cook a little longer. 

This is so simple and makes a perfect bed for any meat.  I placed sauteed chicken breasts atop mine with sweet potato fries on the side.  I should've taken a picture!  It was that pretty :)

What's better - they're full of nutrients.  1 serving (about a cup cooked down) has just 25 calories, 15 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 110% vitamin A, and 50% vitamin C!  And with 3 g fiber, you'll feel fuller longer!

Coming up with new ideas for sidedishes can be tough.  Be creative.  Take your own traditional family favorites and "healthy" them up!

Thanks for the inspiration on this one, Grandma Bessie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment